Re: TO the holier-than-thou guru

In your email to me, tomk@westgac3.dragon.com, you wrote:
> > If there are specific questions concerning who, what, when, where or why,
> > ask away. The ISP is usually not the problem, unless they don't support PPP
> > just SLIP. Remember, unless one has a dedicated link, your IP address will
> > be provided by the ISP following a successful login (most ISP recycle IP addresses).
> > You must specify "noipdefault" and "defaultroute in /etc/ppp/options. If you
> > set a DEFAULT GATEWAY and ROUTE in /etc/init.d/network, unset it.
>
> Good info, thanks! Now let me ask a specific question, my ISP not only
> dynamically allocates the IP address for it's users, but dynamically allocates
> the server IP (several PPP servers on a rotating incoming line). Question: how
> do you configure PPP to handle this situation?

ipcp-accept-local
              With this option, pppd will accept the peer's  idea
              of  our  local  IP  address,  even  if the local IP
              address was specified in an option.

ipcp-accept-remote
              With this option, pppd will accept the peer's  idea
              of  its  (remote) IP address, even if the remote IP
              address was specified in an option.

Using these 2 options in your 'options' file, you should have your ISP
assign both addresses for you.

Folks, I *will* get some PPP docs out hopefully by this weekend. Lets
everyone calm down about the lack of docs, and see what I can come up with.

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
	   "It takes more hot water to make cold water hot