Re: NIS documentation wrong?

At 09:56 AM 3/5/97 +0100, Swen Thuemmler wrote:
>You must reverse the lines. The pw routines will stop when a name is
>found, so -karl is useless when there is a + preceding it.

Perhaps I should've pointed this out - that was one of the first things I
tried.  So now I have:

-karl
+::::::/bin/bash

in my passwd file and I can still finger myself no problems.

On a related matter - even though I followed the directions exactly in the
/usr/doc/nis directory to install nis, it give me errors when running make
in /var/yp - eg:

[root@orion:p2:/var/yp] make
NIS Map update started on Wed Mar  5 18:00:02 WST 1997
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/yp/tower.net.au'
make[1]: `ypservers' is up to date.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/yp/tower.net.au'
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/yp/tower.net.au'
Updating passwd.byname...
Could not read ypservers: 3 Can't bind to server which serves this domain
Pushed passwd.byname map.
Updating passwd.byuid...
Could not read ypservers: 3 Can't bind to server which serves this domain
Pushed passwd.byuid map.
Updating netid.byname...
Could not read ypservers: 3 Can't bind to server which serves this domain
Pushed netid.byname map.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/yp/tower.net.au'
NIS Map update completed.

This however does work fine and it does get to the slave.

   Karl Ferguson,
   Tower Networking Pty Ltd                     karl@tower.net.au
   t/a STAR Online Services                      karl@debian.org
   Tel: +61-9-455-3446  Fax: +61-9-455-2776   http://www.star.net.au