Re: lprm says "Permission denied" (fwd)

>>>>> "Nils" == Nils Rennebarth <nils@nus.de> writes:

 Nils> On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:
 >> On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Nils Rennebarth wrote:
 >>> lprng has removed the possibility to automatically remove Files
 >>> after printing. This is however necessary to remove spooled
 >>> jobs. How do you work around this problem?
 >> I'm not sure what you mean. Files in the lprng spool directories
 >> do get automatically deleted after printing...so you must be
 >> talking about something else.
 Nils> I must confess that it was long ago I tried to set up printing
 Nils> from Windows clients with samba. It worked by copying the
 Nils> to-be-printed files to /tmp on unix and issuing a lpr
 Nils> command. I then was puzzled about the many big files in /tmp
 Nils> with strange names until I got the idea to add a "-r" switch to
 Nils> the lpr command to remove files after printing. It worked from
 Nils> then on and I never tried to setup anything and only remembered
 Nils> that the "-r" switch was vital for operation with samba.

The latest lprng ignores this switch and the -s (symlink) switch, but
accepts them now.  Too many people were having problems with stupid
programs (including the Oracle database) that made bad requests (and
couldn't be set to do anything else) to the printer subsystem.  -r
isn't used because lprng is completely network based.  (i.e. even on a
local machine the file will not just be copied from a location on
disk).  This is a security feature.  -s is similar.

Ahh another note.  One fo LPRng's `features' is a much heightened
security over the basic lpr.  More informative output from lpq
requests.  Easier running modification of the daemon.   Better support
for filters.

(I switched a bunch of machines over from different printing systems
lp, lpr based.  The users were a little thrown off by the different
output format, but it made dealing with the printers from machine to
machine much easier).

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss                 | moss@cs.sc.edu | Blessed Be!