Re: lprm says "Permission denied" (fwd)

carlos@fisica.ufpr.br writes:

> Yes. The suggestion is wrong, the suggestion is just a hack. The
> problem is due to an incoherence between lprm/lpr/lpd. I sent a patch
> for this last year, I think it was applied but it may have been
> dropped. I haven't followed lpr*.deb since, because for me it's
> working and I don't want to touch it ever again.

I think I applied something that should correct this, but obviously it
doesn't work. If you could afford the time please check your patch
against the current lpr and try to find the difference. Otherwise
simply send me your patch.

> Besides this mess, lpr has security problems as well.

The latest buffer overrun is fixed, so I'm not aware of an existing
problem.

> The real fix seems to go to lprng. That's the official position of the
> maintainer as well, as stated in a msg. to this list last year. I'll
> do it as soon as I have a chance.

True, but I had to learn that LPRng doesn't work in some environments,
so we have to keep lpr.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/