Re: Lilo query

Vadim Vygonets <vadik@cs.huji.ac.il> writes:

> On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, G. Kapetanios wrote:
>
> > However I decided to try using lilo. So I got the program by nfs. I
> > created the following script for lilo.conf
>
> > boot=/dev/hda3
> > root=/dev/hda3
>
> [snip]
>
> > But nothing happened and Msdos started without the lilo
> > prompt. Should I have done something more ??. Sorry for the basic
> > question but I would appreciate any help
>
> Yeah, the question is basic for those who know the answer.  You
> installed LILO on the Linux (/dev/hda3) partition boot sector, not on
> the MBR (/dev/hda).  So run either MS-DOS or Linux fdisk and change
> the bootable partition to /dev/hda3.  Then reboot and may God be with
> you.

Two approachs:

 1) "use fdisk to change the bootable partition" like this answer.
 2) "put boot=/dev/hda instead of  boot=/dev/hda3" which changes the MBR, like
    most I have seem here.

IMO, the cleaner and the safer is the first one.  However this approch can not
be set if your linux partition (*) is not primary and in the first HD. (which
is probably not your case, /dev/hda3.)

The second one uses the MBR and some programs/viruses from other SOs may change
it. This includes W95 installation process and many many viruses for M$ OS.
In this case you will need your rescue floppy to reactivate linux.

(*) in some cases you could also use the boot sector from a host non-linux
    primary partition which would not mind in having its boot sector borrowed.
    Perhaps a second MSDOS partition, for instance.

At home, I have 10 partitions in my HD. My linux root partition

--
Alair Pereira do Lago  <alair@ime.usp.br> <http://www.ime.usp.br/~alair>
Computer Science Department -- Universidade de S~ao Paulo -- Brazil