Re: Why is PPP so screwed up!?!?!

> Martin Stromberg wrote:

[Klippa, klapp, kluppit]

> > I'm not sure that it's possible to ping over ppp.
>
> Oh my. If you really don't know that much about something please don't
> risk
> spreading disinformation. ping is of course possible over ppp. About the

Oh, my. Aren't we ticklish today?

I tried to spread the information that _I_ didn't know.

[Klippa, klapp, kluppit a lot about ppp problem.]

> > > 3 - I think I'm resigned to the fact that this figgin' ppp catastrophe isn't
> > >     going to get fixed unless I do it myself. I'm tenatively planning on
> > >     writing a set of scripts and ppp.options files to allow people to
> > >     easily configure their system as a dial-in server or as a home machine
> > >     that dials into an ISP. Does anyone want to offer suggestions, help
> > >     code, or help test?
> >
> > I've had that "Could not determine local IP address". I fixed it by
> > putting my own <local-ip>:<remote-ip> pair somewhere in the options file.
> > This gave me some other problems; I think it would connect but after a while
> > disconnect with some of error message in /var/log/debug. Then I added some
> > other options to pppd, I can't remember their exact names but it was something
> > like accept-ip-local and accept-ip-remote. Then it worked just fine.
>
> It sounds like you need to specify your local IP, since the peer isn't
> giving it
> to you. Don't set the remote IP if you don't have to--this doesn't
> really help you.

Well in my case ther error message was something like "Could not determine
remote IP address". So I concluded that I wasn't getting a remote address.

And by remove one of the options accept-ip-local and accept-ip-remote at a
time I saw that the ppp peer insisted that I used his idea of local IP.
I think his setup is faulty, it should provide me a _remote_ IP and not insist
on a certain local one. Shouldn't it? Anyway as the people who are running
that only know about Windoze and Macs and talking to them is like talking
to a tree or a log, I haven't had the stamina to get them to realise that
their setup isn't correct. I could be wrong also...

> > By the way, I still have that proxyarp flag in the options file, so I always
> > get that error message about not being able to determine address. But my
> > ppp works anyway.
>
> Proxyarp only makes sense on a machine with 1) an ethernet card and 2)
> other hosts
> which hang off that ethernet who'd like to be able to get to the machine
> on the other
> end of the PPP link. Don't use proxyarp unless both of these is true. (I
> suspect the
> machine you're dialing from only has a modem, no e-net card. This option
> would be
> much more usefully applied on the server side.)

I do have another machine on an ethernet. I haven't set it up properly yet.

If I get this error message, does that mean I can't reach the net from that
machine?

> > Oh; by the way again, I don't use ppp at bootup or kerneld. I start pppd by
> > hand by executing pon as root whenever I want to go out on the net.
> >

> Don't be a "pon". ;) Use diald, (unless you run a name daemon or
> sendmail locally and
> you don't want it bringing up the link with your say-so), and I'm sure
> you'll find
> it delightful.

I'm sure I would, but _I_ want to be in control when to bring up the link.

I like to be able to call when I want and to receive calls when I'm awake.
So can diald handle a situation like automatic dialing and disconnecting
but only, say, between midnight and six in the morning?

> --
> Jens B. Jorgensen
> jjorgens@bdsinc.com

Hopefully not disinformingly helpful,