Re: teTeX kind of broken

There is a serious problem/bug in dpkg that prevents the correct
removal of the old tex packages and then the installation of tetex.

dpkg can't handle multiple packages which are to be replaced.

So, do the following:

- Purge all the old tex packages which are replaced by tetex. (E.g. go
into dselect, select the tetex-packages, look which old tex packages
are marked to be removed, purge the packages.)

- Purge latex before you purge mflib, because the postrm script of
latex depens on install-fmt-base, which is in mflib, but latex does
not depend on mflib. This is a bug in the old latex package.

- Watch out that all config-files in /etc/texmf/ are removed, at
least texmf.cnf is incompatible. (dpkg --purge should do this for
you.)

- Install the tetex packages.

Don't install tetex over the old packages with --force**. You will get
an inconsitent system.

Marcelo Magallon <mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr> writes:

> Hi, I'm having some trouble installing teTeX. I did solve this; I'm
> reporting this mainly because people upgrading from 1.2 to 1.3 are likely
> to encounter this, too.
>
> Using dselect one finds that teTeX has replaced all the TeX files in
> Debian, but when installing files one gets for example:
>
> dpkg: regarding .../tex/tetex-extra_0.4pl6-2.deb containing tetex-extra:
>  tetex-extra conflicts with kpathsea
>   kpathsea (version 2.6-2) is installed.
>   kpathsea provides kpathsea and is installed.
>
> The obvious solution is to remove all TeX files conflicting with teTeX
> before installing teTeX, but this is not "user friendly", "nice", "cool",
> etc.

You have no other chance. dpkg can't handle all (more than one) the
replaces.

> When removing latex (using deselect) one gets:
>
> Removing latex ...
> Removing latex format(s) using install-fmt-base(8)
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/latex.prerm: install-fmt-base: command not found
> dpkg: error processing latex (--remove):
>  subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
> Building new latex format(s) using install-fmt-base(8)
> dpkg: error while cleaning up:
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
>
> The wierd thing is that "dpkg --remove latex" works...
>
> Also, LyX recommends latex, but none of the teTeX packages "provides" it
> (it is *included* in teTeX-base, I think). And there are similar problems
> with xypic, and stuff like that.

tetex-bin-0.4pl6-3 provides latex. But there is an other problem: LyX
needs to be relinked with tetex-dev. (I just wrote a bug report.)

Christoph

Christoph Martin, Uni-Mainz, Germany
 Internet-Mail:  Christoph.Martin@Uni-Mainz.DE