segmentation faults & other goodies

<<This is a Repost>
Hi all:

here is my problem, a machine at my school is running Debian 1.2 (upgraded
from 1.1) the current kernel is 2.0.6, libc is 5.4.20, the problem is any
attempts to send mail from pine results in a segmentation fault.  I've
noticed this since I've attempted to install Majordomo(ugh!)  ok I'm using
smail_3.2-3 and pine_3.95-l7.
	Also Xfree86 runs as if there were no window
manager installed where as on thursday (last time I was physically @ that
machine) all was ok, I've tried startx -exec fvwm2 and I get the fvwm2 to
come up but the default xterm has no shell running.

 Strangely enuf none of the above occurs if run as root so it must be some
kind of permission problem but where. . . . please advise? PLEASE!!

Corey A.
csa@asan.com
corey@nsbe.engr.ccny.cuny.edu
alle1788@cslab.engr.ccny.cuny.edu
		http://nsbe.engr.ccny.cuny.edu/~corey
PGP Key fingerprint =  17 C4 DA BE 8B 6D 5A AF  28 A8 78 5F BA EA 9A 5F