Problems booting with new kernel

I've been trying to upgrade my kernel using kernel-source-2.0.27.  I
put the new kernel on a floppy, boot from the floppy, and instead of

8000
AX: 02FF
BX: 0000
CX: 000B
DX: 0000

The hex code sequence keeps repeating until I reset my computer and
reboot off the old kernel.  I don't know anything about i486 internals
so I could really use some help here.
--
Karl Sackett                                           krs@caos.aamu.edu

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form
of tyranny over the mind of man." -- Thomas Jefferson