CD read problems installing with NEC t130

Friends in the Debian world;

I am having problems installing Debian 1.2.3 from my new CD.  First, I
could not write the resq disk at all and get a bootable floppy.  I FTP'd
the installation set and wrote floppys with rawrite2 that work; now I am
having trouble getting the installation to work.

My system is a P60 with 16 mb ram, a 540m drive at hda & a 250 mb drive at
hdb.  scd0 is an old single speed Intersect CD-Rom attached to a Trantor
T130b controller.  I finally chased down a copy of g_NCR5380.c to find the
names to pass my port and irq to the driver, and the CD is recognized and
mounted without a problem.  When I run dselect I get constant CD-ROM
errors - queue disconnects and other driver-generated errors.

I thought there might be a problem with the g_NCR5380 module installation
so I booted back into my slackware system and built a boot disk with the
existing kernel.  I then booted Debian with it and got the same trouble.

I should note that when I installed slackware I used the same setup with
virtually no problems.  For slackware I passed the kernel ncr5380=0x348,5
and for Debian I passed the module ncr_irq=5 ncr_addr=0x348 ncr_5380=1
I also tried it with addr=0x340 & ncr_53c400=1  Same results.

Any ideas where I can look?  I would really like to install but don't want
to tie up my phone line for 8+ hours over a 14.4 link downloading
packages.

Thanks

Randy