xmodmap does not seem to work

I installed an .Xmodmap in my home (user) directory. It suppose
to switch between hungarian and us keyboard by the use of the scroll
lock key.

Called the file up as

xmodmap .Xmodmap

in the .xinitrc file.

It does not seem to map the keyboard.

XF86Config is set up correctly for the keyboard.

Using the same XF86Config and .Xmodmap file in the Red Hat distribution,
and activating it in the .xsession file brings success.

What is different in Debian.

Sandor.

P.S. I also tried using the full path names for xmodmap and .Xmodmap.
--
Hass, alkoss, gyarapits,
S a haza fényre derül.