Network mysteriously dying...

For some odd reason, my network just died a few min ago.  This is the
second time it has happened.  Everything has been working perfectly for
the last several months, then all of a sudden today and a few days ago,
everything would just stop.  I was doing nothing out of the ordinary other
than telneting to a local host when it just froze.  I switched terms and
tried to ping a variety of hosts with no response.  I switched to tty12
(where I have all syslog outputting) and found abolutely nothing, along
with nothing in any log file in /var/log.  I tried to do a netstat and it
just sat there.  At this point I just decided to reboot and after several
min of attempting to kill pses (I think that's what it was doing) it
rebooted and everything worked perfectly.  Like I said, this happened
before and a reboot fixed it.  This tells me it's something with my
machine and not the network itself... anyone suggest anywhere I should
start looking for bad settings or something??  I need to get this resolved
because there are times when I'm away from the machine for weeks at a time
and if I dont' have access to it, it's worthless..  Thanks.