How to compile XF86_SVGA on Debian-1.2.xx?

Has anybody here ever tried and succeeded to compile a custom
XF86_SVGA X server from the sources delivered with Debian 1.2.4?

I have installed the sources as provided complete with the Debian
specific patches but just can't find out how to compile a XF86_SVGA
server containing just the graphic drivers i need. The steps described
in the accompanying "INSTALL", "README.Linux" and "ServersOnly" are
not really helpful for clueless people like me.

Following these instructions without trying to interpret them led only
to error messages about missing files but which are right in the place
where they are expected to be. Doing a straight "make World" from the
top level source directory seems to work -- at least it starts and
compiles seemingly flawless quite a while before i interrupt the
process -- but i don't want to recompile the complete XFree86-3.2 due
to space and computing power restrictions.

Can someone please provide me with a straightforward description on
how to only compile a smaller XF86_SVGA server binary, please?

                                    Thank you, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   Our AMA Homepage  in  the WWW at  http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bender/