Re: Sybase client libraries for Linuc?

Robert Nicholson wrote:

> In the past I've heard rumours about this.
>
> What's the truth to the availablity of dblib or ctlib libraries for Linux?

Go to ftp.sybase.com, /pub/linux. Here's the README from the directory.
(copyright Sybase, Inc, I suppose)

> Open Client/C for LINUX, version 10.0.3
>
> The TAR file accessible below is a LINUX port of Sybase's Client-Library,
> which is the native System 10 interface included in Sybase's Open Client
> products.  This LINUX port is available as freeware, with no license fees
> and no product support, as part of Sybase's active participation in
> Internet activities.  We hope that it will be helpful to LINUX users
> wanting access to SQL Server (and other Sybase server products) on
> non-LINUX platforms.
>
> This port is unsupported, and does not include documentation.  Users
> wanting documentation may choose to buy the Open Client documentation set
> for a similar platform (such as Solaris) in order to become familiar with
> Client-Library's features, installation, and interfaces.  Documentation
> orders can be made (in the US) by calling 1-800-8-SYBASE.  Licensed users
> of Open Client on other platforms will want to get technical assistance (or
> report problems) for their supported environments.
>
> The port comes in 2 parts: the sybase.tgz file is required, the
> devlib.tgz contains symbolic versions of Open Client libraries
> which may be useful in debugging.
>
> sybase.tgz:  Total disk space required is 0.5 MB compressed; 1.6 MB
> uncompressed.  Recommended memory for LINUX clients is 2 MB.
>
> devlib.tgz:  Total disk space required is 4.9 MB compressed; 13.0 MB
> uncompressed.  Recommended memory for LINUX clients using devlibs is 4 MB.
>
>  Some Sybase user communities may want to copy this TAR file (including
> README) to local web sites, making it easier to obtain copies for local
> users or during peak network times.
>

> IMPORTANT: READ THIS DISCLAIMER BEFORE USING THE FOLLOWING CODE:
>
> THIS CODE IS BEING DISTRIBUTED FREE OF CHARGE. IT IS NOT A SYBASE PRODUCT,
> IS NOT SUPPORTED BY SYBASE AND IS PROVIDED "AS-IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
> KIND. SYBASE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS, EITHER EXPRESS OR
> IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
> MERCHANTABILITY, MERCHANTABLE QUALITY, NONINFRINGEMENT AND FITNESS FOR A
> PARTICULAR PURPOSE (WHETHER ARISING BY STATUTE OR IN LAW OR AS A RESULT OF
> A COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE). IN NO EVENT SHALL SYBASE BE LIABLE
> FOR LOSS OF PROFITS OR LOSS OF DATA OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING
> WITHOUT LIMITATION DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL
> DAMAGES, EVEN IF SYBASE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
> DAMAGES.
>
> Sybase retains ownership of both source and object code associated with
> this software.

I've never used this before. I suppose it works though, huh? There also
seems
to be an "isql"-alike. Maybe someone should put this into a package in
non-free?

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com