Re: Partitions (was Re: Debian installation)

On Wed, 19 Feb 97 14:49 PST bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) wrote:
>   That user was getting complaints about overlapping partitions. I don't
>   see the overlap. Any clue?
>
>           Bruce

     The complaints probably came from using the 'v'- "verify the
partition table" in fdisk.  The 'v' command apparently uses the
'Begin' column to determine partition overlaps.  I have found that
complaints about overlaps made by this command may be safely ignored,
provided you visually check the partition table for overlaps using the
'Start' column.

     I assume that fdisk was written before disks in excess of 1024
cylinders, and the writers/maintainers added some kind of kludge to
get around the BIOS limitations, but couldn't or didn't make the
'Begin' column or 'v' command behave.

     All of my insights to the working of fdisk have come from Matt
Walsh's "Installation and getting Started Guide", supplemented by
experimentation and experience.  I know that certain things have
worked for me, but I don't know why. :-)

Bob