Re: Weird! My network turns itself off on bootup! Why?

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, trio wrote:

> >     wd io=0x280 irq=5
> >
> > This loads the driver module at boot time for my wd8003 card - they're
>
>    Is there a syntax listing for the /etc/modules file somewhere? I'm
> running a 3c509.

command line options for modules vary depending on what module is being
loaded.  many of them take an 'io=' and an 'irq=' option. check the notes
in the linux kernel source: /usr/src/linux/Documentation (you must
have the kernel source installed to do this, of course). also, check
the source code for the individual drivers - options are quite often
NOT documented and the only way to find out about them is to read the
source.

> Any idea what i'd need? Right now, mine says:
>
> #auto
> 3c509
> sg
>
>    What do those things mean?

OK, you're loading the 3c509 module and the scsi generic module... looks
like my guess was wrong.

The 3c509 module can be given io= and irq= options in /etc/modules (or
in /etc/conf.modules)

Try removing the '#' from the '#hash' line. See if that makes any
difference.

here's something for you to try.

 1. run 'lsmod' to list all loaded modules.  make sure that 3c509 is listed.

    e.g. (from one of my systems - yours will vary a bit)

    # lsmod
    Module:        #pages:  Used by:
    isofs              5            1
    sr_mod             4            1
    serial             8            1
    lp                 2            0
    sound             25            0
    nfs               13            6
    appletalk          4            11
    ip_alias           1            1
    wd                 2            1            <-- my wd8003 module
    8390               2    [wd]    0            <-- the 8390 module is used
                                                     by the wd8003 module

 2. run 'ifconfig eth0' to display interface configuration details.  make sure
    that your ethernet interface is configured properly.

    e.g.

    # ifconfig eth0
    eth0      Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:C0:0A:44:A5
              inet addr:203.16.167.2  Bcast:203.16.167.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              EtherTalk Phase 2 addr:65280/241
              RX packets:1501003 errors:5 dropped:0 overruns:0
              TX packets:1269427 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
              Interrupt:5 Base address:0x290 Memory:d0000-d2000

 3. run 'cat /proc/ioports' to see what I/O ports are in use in your system

    # cat /proc/ioports

     0:  166488335   timer
     1:    1601282   keyboard
     2:          0   cascade
     3:    4802968 + serial
     5:    2694949   WD8003-old             <--- here's my wd8003
     7:       3653   sound blaster
     8:          1 + rtc
    12:    1141666 + 53c7,8xx
    13:          1   math error
    14:    3335560 + ide0

 4. run 'cat /proc/interrupts' to see what IRQs are in use:  e.g.

    # cat /proc/interrupts
     0:  166488335   timer
     1:    1601282   keyboard
     2:          0   cascade
     3:    4802968 + serial
     5:    2694949   WD8003-old             <--- here's my wd8003
     7:       3653   sound blaster
     8:          1 + rtc
    12:    1141666 + 53c7,8xx
    13:          1   math error
    14:    3335560 + ide0

   your 3c509 should should be listed in both /proc/ioports and
   /proc/interrupts. Make sure that the irq & interrupt are correct.

 5. wait for the problem to occur again.

 6. repeat the tests above.  compare differences.

also, try to determine under what circumstances the ethernet
configuration is lost....is it at a certain time of day? is it when the
network card is receiving/transmitting a lot of traffic? is it when the
network card is idle for some time? is it when the system is under a
heavy load?  is it after you run a certain program?

Finding out what circumstances are associated with the problem will help
to determine what is causing the problem.

craig