Initial install with dselect

  There has been some recent discussion as to upgrading dselect with more
"user friendly" features for first-time Linux users.  However, before this
path is taken, I think that some of the inherent bugs in dselect should be
addressed beforehand.

 For example:

 1.  For whatever reason in Debian release 1.1, dselect consistantly
     skipped packages primarily in the non-free section on initial
     install.  You basically had to go with the default settings and go
     back after installing _these_ packages before you could add new ones.
     Sometimes this worked, sometimes it didn't.  At some point after
     several attempts, dselect would catch its errs (for whatever reason)
     and install the "previously selected" items.  It may have been due to
     some packages slipping through dselect's dependency checks and
     causing errors on post-installation setups (e.g. LaTeX and INN
     configs in the 1.2 release), I dunno.  In 1.2, this is still
     happening, except that there are some more packages showing up not
     installed in the contrib and news sectioans as well (22 pkgs total).

     Something else that seems curious in the dselect procedure is that
     these packages show up under: dpkg --yet-to-unpack, but dselect
     doesn't touch them.  dpkg -O should manually install them, but how
     many first-time users would know that "man dpkg" let alone dpkg
     itself exists?

2.  If dselect hits _any_ install errors after a first-time setup, it WILL
    cycle through the entire package database "Skipping deselected pkg" or
    "Version xx.xx-xx already installed, skipping." times the number of
    errors that were encountered on the first pass (i.e. I had 3 errors on
    post installation of some INN stuff and I sat there watching dselect
    cycle through the entire package database 3 time skipping already
    installed or deselected packages or hitting the same 3 errors).

3.  All of this disappears when _all_ of the install errors have been
    corrected.  This again seems strange as the errors happen at various
    points in the installation procedure.  Most of the packages after
    the errors _do_ get installed.  It just appears to be a select few
    that don't.  I don't have the faintest clue as to how dselect/dpkg
    maintain its internal database of packages marked for selection, but
    they (it) sure doesn't appear to do pkg install inline with the
    internal database.

Confused,
 -J.