Re: Some thoughts for Debian.

In your email to me, Matt Kracht, you wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, John Goerzen wrote:
>
> > > I think if debian is going to succeed, it's going to have to be reduced
> > > to a standard set of "core" applications that will make up the "offical"
> >
> > I *very strongly* disagree.  One of the things that brought me to Debian in
> > the first place, and kept me here despite some problems with the 1.2 release,
> > is the tremendous amount of available software.
>
> If you think Debian has a tremendous amount of software, you should try
> sunsite.unc.edu or tsx-11.mit.edu sometime.

Yeah, so whats your point? A major ftp site is not a Linux distribution...

> I'm seriously thinking of going back to slackware.  I've searched
> ftp.debian.org for bash 2.0, the 2.1.x kernel, and other recent software,
> but they're nowhere to be found.  I just found out that my Debian system

I'd be very surprised if Slackware has them either...

> compiled Linux 2.1.21 with the 2.0.27 kernel headers because someone

Wrong!! Every recent (2.x.x) kernel uses its own includes, and
not /usr/include. You should check the source before making statements
like this.

> thought it was a good idea to fuck with the Linux kernel and libc.  I
> have no idea whose idea it was split every library into two (or more!)
> packages, either.  This is ridiculous.  Under Slackware, when I want
> S-LANG, I go to S-LANG home page and ftp it, compile it, and install it.
> Debian gives me several packages to choose from, which, it turns out, are
> all required.  Then I find out that the guy who compiled it did something
> weird.  Lynx 2.6 doesn't compile with it.  So, I go to the S-LANG home
> page and get the real source and compile it.  Lynx compiles fine.  Why
> was I recompiling Lynx?  Because the guy who compiled that screwed it
> up!  My God, I've recompiled half the Debian packages, it seems like.
> All this effort could have gone towards making my old Slackware system
> more usuable than my current Debian system!

Really? You just said the even under Slackware, you have to go to
the ftp site and get it and compile it! Did you install the slang package?

> I don't know.  Maybe I'm just not in the correct mindset for Debian.  I
> like to run the latest stuff.  Debian offers, it seems, only the oldest,
> most stable software.  I just don't see why anyone would run Linux and

Show me any major distribution that is running bleeding edge stuff.
The poing of having a 'distribution' is to have a stable suite
of programs.

> not want to compile software, be on bleeding edge, and actually
> administer a UNIX system...  I feel like I'm running Windows 95.

Obviously, you never administered a high-availablilty multiuser
machine... just your little hacker playtoy machine. Try explaining
to 200-300 users that you'll be down for a few hours because you
installed some new software, and broke the system.

> Unconfigurable software with horrid defaults, plain bad planning,
> changing industry standards without notice, etc.

If you don't like change, let me send you, free of charge, a full
DOS 6.22 package. The nature of linux is change.

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
     "Have you ever seen an atom, Little bits of everything floating by,