mail: deliver error

I just installed Debian and am having a problem with sendmail.   Messages
to the machine are returned with the following error:

deliver: error writing to header file /tmp/dl.b15609
deliver: error writing to body file /tmp/dl.c15609

Although I'm embarrassed to admit it, I made the terrible mistake of
executing "chown -R root. ." as root while in /etc .  I think this is the
source of the problem, though I'm not sure.

1. Could someone send me a file listing of their /etc directory so I can
correct the file ownerships?

2. Any suggestions for the mail delivery problem?

Bennett Brown