JDK not working

Hello:

I have just installed version 1.0.2-3 of jdk-common and jdk-static from
non-free.  However, when I try to run the java executables, all I get is,

naoma: ~$ java
java was not found in /usr/lib/jdk/i586/bin/java
naoma: ~$ jdb
java was not found in /usr/lib/jdk/i586/bin/java
naoma: ~$ javac
java was not found in /usr/lib/jdk/i586/bin/java

Any clues on what the problem may be?

Thanks a lot,

M. S.