Recompiling Linux

I started with Debian Distribution 2.0.6. Then got 2.0.13 from sunsite
and managed to update the kernel using kernel package or some such.
Linux is now 2.0.13. A few days ago I decided to try most stuff as
modules except kerneld, ext2 files system and anything else I chose the
default. Sound I have and chose to have sound included. Then went to
recompile. I have not suceeded. I get a lot of the following:

drivers/block/block.a(genhd.o) in function 'disk_name'
genhd.o(text+0x3c2): undefined reference to 'ide_xlate_1024'
lots of such but different undefined references eg. 'device_setup'
                     undefined reference to 'net_dev_init'
lots more that scrolled off the screen and finally:

make: ****[vmlinux] Error 1

make dep ran without error.

What did I miss ?