Withdrawl of fee for producing Debian CDs

One of the problems of leading a group of volunteers is that one can only
lead where they will follow. There was too much resentment among a number
of Debian developers over the $2 fee I proposed to charge for the privilege
of producing the official Debian CD. Thus, Debian will not charge any fee
for the privilege of producing the Official Debian CD. We will instead
request, but not compel, a donation from CD manufacturers. The amount of the
donation pledged per unit will be printed on the CD package. We will still
require a contract to use the cover art and the words "Official Debian CD",
but this contact will be designed to give the project control over the
content, not revenue from unit sales. As currently, we will continue to
allow anyone to produce Debian CDs without a contract, as long as they
use different cover art and call it something without the words "Official
Debian" in it.

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens
	Debian Project Leader