Serial communications question

    Steve> I'm having a problem with my modem. Using chat+pppd to dial
    Steve> out, I can connect, but not negotiate ppp. Sometimes I can
    Steve> negotiate ppp, but the connection is very slow. However, if
    Steve> I first run Minicom and quit without reset, chat+pppd works
    Steve> quite well and the connection is fast.

 I have 'setserial /dev/ttyS1 spd_vhi' in my
/etc/rc.boot/(whatever-serial) script, and in the diald.options file,
have 'speed 115200'.  It is faster now than when I had 'speed 38400'
there.  I had thought that setting the 'spd_vhi' flag with setserial
made '38400' max the interface, but it turns out that '115200' makes
it faster.

--
Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@inetarena.com>
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg