Re: "ICMP redirect" kernel message

mike horansky writes:
 > Looking through /var/log/messages, I see
 >
 > Jan 18 18:23:34 bigbox kernel: ICMP redirect from <IP addr withheld>
 > Jan 18 18:23:34 bigbox last message repeated 3 times
 >
 > every few days.
 >
 > Is that an indication of Ping Of Death? Some other problem?

ICMP redirects are sent by your gateways to your host to provide it with a
better route to some place (ie, telling you to use another local gateway for
that particular connection). Gateways shouldn't obey ICMP redirs, BTW.

If you received an ICMP redir from a host that's not your gateway, I think
something is amiss. Maybe it's just a (remote) configuration problem?
Shouldn't your routers block these packages?

--
Adriano