Re: cron.daily et al.

On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, Seak, Teng-Fong wrote:

> Paul Seelig wrote:
> > > I second this.
> > >
> > It is not so hard actually to change the time settings oneself. Every
> > system administrator should be able to do so. and we are all supposed
> > to be sysadmins, aren't we?
> >
> 	So please give us a concrete solution.

A concrete solution for the aspiring sysadmin is launch "apropos cron"
at a shell prompt which gives as result

   crontab (5)          - tables for driving cron
   cron (8)             - daemon to execute scheduled commands

and this shows you which man pages to read. Then just read them and
understand their contents. After that find out where the cron scripts
which are not invoked by "crontab -e" reside on your system and read
and understand them too. You will find that the man pages you read
before already point to the proper places, but you could do as well a
"locate cron" to be sure not to miss anything. If you succeed with all
the aforementioned just adapt them to your needs.
Not so hard actually, is it!?
                                             Regards, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de