Re: Free space on Linux Drive

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, John wrote:

> I think this a simple enough question, but even my Unix teacher can't
> answer it.  I just installed Debian on my 586 Windoze machine, with a 200mb
> partition.  The first time I installed it on 100 megs but I ran out of
> room.  My question is how can I check how much space is left on my Linux
> partition.  I DOS, I can use chkdsk, is there a similiar function in Linux?

Some UNIX teacher! ;-)

Try the df command.  Here's an example:

$ df /
Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/sda3             940462  748805   143069     84%   /

Hint for the future:  try the apropos utility.  If you ran the following:

$ apropos disk

You would have gotten a long listing, but the following would have been
part of it:

df (1)               - summarize free disk space

When you're stumped, the apropos command is a good place to start.

Best regards,
                                     Nick