Re: Free space on Linux Drive

( Re Message From: John )
> I think this a simple enough question, but even my Unix teacher can't
> answer it.  I just installed Debian on my 586 Windoze machine, with a 200mb
> partition.  The first time I installed it on 100 megs but I ran out of
> room.  My question is how can I check how much space is left on my Linux
> partition.  I DOS, I can use chkdsk, is there a similiar function in Linux?

Unexpectedly, the command to run is "df".

The most important command for people who don't yet know what they can do
is "apropos". In your case, you want to know about "free disk space" so
you can try

  apropos free disk space

which will throw up summaries of all commands that have to do with "free"
or "disk" or "space", including the command "df".

"df" is on most if not all UNIX systems; "apropos" should be on all; I
would expect these things to be known by most experienced UNIX people.

Ted.                                    (Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk)