Re: Latex (Debian and Tetex).

On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Michael Stutz wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Johann Spies wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Paul Rightley wrote:
> >
> > > Also, how do you go about getting/installing TeTeX in Debian?
>
> Anyone know of any plans to make a debian package out of this? I use
> TeTeX on a Slackware system and am very impressed with it.

Well, you are probably in the same position as me and lots of other
Debian users who'd prefer teTeX over the TeX/LaTeX system provided
with the distribution.

You'd like to have teTeX as Debian package and you distrust the
(supposedly outdated?) teTeX as provided by RedHat which could be
installed via the 'alien' command. And you lack the skills of building
and maintain a teTeX package yourself because you are trained in
another profession very far away from computer stuff.

Thanks goodness teTeX really is easy to install in /usr/local/ but
this doesn't solve the dependancy problems. I suppose we need at least
some kind of wrapper script for fulfilling the dependancy stuff but
someone knowledgeable enough has to provide it...

Looks like we are stuck somehow. Any capable volunteers?

                                                  P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   Our AMA Homepage  in  the WWW at  http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bender/