diald problems. argh.

I've been avoiding configuring diald for a while because it's
always looked (from a distance) like hell. Seems to be confirmed
by actually trying it.

I'm running named on diald system, and wish to keep doing so.
My named is configured to forward to other systems, and appears
to do this from non-domain ports, so the link will come up
correctly. eg I can go to another machine on the network
and look up a web site, and it will try to connect. For added
hair loss, I'm using IP masquerading too.

However a couple of problems. After connecting, diald says
"Connect script timed out. Killing script." and this is followed
some time later by "child process 544 terminated with signal 9"
and "SIGHUP: modem got hung up on."

My /etc/diald/diald.options file says
"connect "/etc/ppp/startppp-diald"", and that file says

"pppd connect "chat -f /etc/ppp/chatscript""

which contains my chatscript, and works fine. (I've been dialing
for the past few months by running pppd manually.)

Any suggestions as to why I get the kill problem?

Other problem. I am using dynamic IPs. In diald.options, I put
my IP as 203.12.22.253 (eg a dummy on my ISP's network), and
the remote IP as 203.12.22.254. When the link comes up,
diald establishes a default route but uses the dummy remote
address as the gateway, not the real gateway from pppd. If I remove
the dud default and add the correct one, it works fine.
(Until I get hung up).

Your thoughts appreciated!

thanks,

Hamish