Re: Backspace, Delete in xterm

> On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Brian C. White wrote:
>
> > Please, PLEASE, correct this!  Either set all the ttys to use BS (^H)
> > as the rubout character or fix xterm to send DEL (^?) when the backspace
> > key is pressed.
>
> For what it's worth, I used to have problems with backspace and delete
> until I realized that <ctrl-d> is delete and <ctrl-h> is backspace.  After
> a little bit, I'll think you'll even find this setup to be more convenient
> because your hands never have to grope.

Sorry, but <ctrl-d> is not "delete" and, though <ctrl-h> is backspace, it
is not the rubout character.

CTRL-D is an emacs "delete-char" command that is also recognized by bash,
tcsh, and other programs that use enhanced readline.  You'll also find
that M-D (ESC-D or ALT-D) is "kill-word" and M-backspace is "backward-
kill-word".

Try the following:  'less <any-existing-file>'  The try to search for
something by type "/bueue" (with no CR).  Then try to backspace to change
the search string.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )

if you have a 50% chance of guessing right,you will guess wrong 75% of the time

--
This message was delayed because the list mail delivery agent was down.