Re: bash question ...

Well, unfortunately, I'm not really executing xplaycd in the
script.  The "&" and ";" work fine on SunOS, Solaris, HP/UX
and Ahmdahl bourne-shells.  It also works under ash.  I'm tempted
to just install ash as the default shell, but I would like to run
bash as my login shell.  Is there any way to configure the
alternatives to taste?  Can I tell dpkg that I want bash to be
bash and ash to be ash+sh?  I do some other funky stuff in this
script that also works elsewhere but fails under bash.

We have an HA pair of 2000s in london that runs a backup script.
This script puts stuff from a handful of machines in the
distributed environment plus its own database roll volumes on a
tape and writes a list of what was dumped on BOT.  This script
only needs to run on the solaris machine (pair).  My script needs
to run _anywhere_ (don't ask why, its not worth getting into).  I
have it working everywhere, but tried to run it recently on my
linux box and it sh*t the bed.

I use an IFS management stack to simulate an array for parsing
the list at BOT so I can dynamically create a restore menu for
our operators to use for "automatic" data retrieval.  This
parsing allows the script to read new tapes -- even when the
order of the backups changes, or the volumes change, etc.,
without me having to rewrite the restore menu script.  I know
this would be much easier in perl, but we don't have perl
everywhere.  We do have bourne-shell everywhere.  The real
solution is to use a more sophisticated backup and restore
mechanism, but that's another war.

The signal handling is also not working.  I do some trapping in
the script that gets ignored under bash for no apparent reason.

Oh well.

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
011-81-3-3437-7967 - Tokyo, Japan