bash question ...

Are there any bash gurus out there?  I have a couple of Q's.

I have some scripts that run fine under bourne-shell on solaris,
but break under bash on debian.  The signal trapping doesn't seem
to work.  Nor does executing multiple commands on a single line
separated by ";" characters.  Even on the command line:

bash$ xplaycd & ; xmixer &
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `;'

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com