Re: Is Linux much easier to install on 68k or PPC?

> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> [snip]
> > than need. I still have two 386-40 boards in the cupboard. My XT
> > is setting on the floor next to me. It gets fired up to test new
> > versions of ELKS, the linux for 8086 project. It has a 3C501 card in it,
> [snip]
>
> Linux on an 8086???
> That goes to the top of my list of truely perverse activities :)

:-)

ELKS isn't coming along too badly either. It boots, can mount
a (minix) root disk, and run init. I think the console driver
is working, and somebody is porting a tiny shell to it. Unfortunately
fork() isn't done yet, so no multitasking. There seems to be a kernel
size limit of 64k, which is being a bit of a problem. Kernel-based
TCP/IP seems unlikely.

hamish