Re: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults

Philippe Troin wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jan 1997 18:37:46 EST "Daniel S. Barclay"
> (daniel@compass-da.com) wrote:
>

> > In Debian Linux, do files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/ get read
> > or not?
>
> Definitely yes.

Never say never and never say always ;)    ...see below

---[ nice description of how things are _supposed_ to work snipped]---

> The Xresources file is loaded into the server by the X init scripts with xrdb -merge. You may customize several applications into this file, eg:
>   XTerm*background:red
>   Xload*background: blue
>
> The precedence is:
>   1) resources passed in the command line
>   2) resources read in the X database (ie the /etc/X11/Xresources file)
>   3) static application resources in the app-defaults directory.
>
> Hope that helps...
> Phil.

I'm running a nearly vanilla Debian 1.2 system and my xrdb -merge is
broken!  This may explain all the postings about app-defaults and
Xresourses not seeming to work.

To get /etc/X11/Xsession to merge Xresources correctly, I changed

xrdb -merge <foo>
xrdb -cpp /usr/bin/cpp -merge <foo>

everywhere.  The problem seems to be related to the fact that /lib/cpp
is a symbolic link to /usr/bin/cpp.  I don't know why this should matter
but it seems to.  Is anyone else havingthis problem too?  Try:

xrdb -merge /etc/X11/Xresources

and see if you get a "Segmentation fault".  If you do then you have the
same problem I do and

xrdb -cpp /usr/bin/cpp -merge /etc/X11/Xresources

will probably work just fine.  It would be nice if some people try this
and post results to the list.

--Bob