Re: WordPerfect for Java

This was just today on java-linux list:

// Heikki

++ Start of excerpt ++

Hello Java-Linux people,

I assume that yall know this, but in case you dont, Corel's  Office for
Java is available for download from ftp2.corel.com.  The file is in the /
directory and is called coj.zip.  I ran it both from appletviewer and
as a standalone java application and it works well.  I was not able to
get it to run under Netscape, but I have not done any of the library
substitutions necessary to get Netscape's java to run under Linux.  I have
a friend who did get it to run under Java under Netscape under Windows 95.

Here are some instructions if you just want to start it up quickly:

unzip coj.zip

Then:

appletviewer coj/Shell.html

Or:

cd coj
java COfficeMain

I think I found 1 bug in the linux jdt which probably has nothing to do with
Corel's package.  The jdk does not like talking to the X server on my
Digital Unix system.  I have seen other applications behave this way
when the default visual was 24 bit TrueColor.  I run the X server so
the default visual is 8 bit PseudoColor and that makes most things happy.
It looks like the jdk is requesting a non-default visual and then dying
when it can't handle what it gets.  Here is some sample output:

[sample output deleted]

++ End of excerpt ++