Re: ghostscript

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Fundamental wrote:

> Is ghostscript a package? or is this a dumb question?
>
> I searched the debian archives, found a lot of fonts and addons for
> ghostscript, but no ghostscript:(

When searching for packages, I believe that better than browsing the ftp
archive is to get the files "Packages.gz" and "Contents.gz" and use less
or zless to browse and search them.  Thus, if the name of the software is
"ghostscript" and the Debian package is called "gs", it's trivial to find
out by searching for the string "ghostscript" in Packages.gz and then
looking at the package name once you get there.

The Contents.gz file is extremely useful when you can't find a particular
binary on your system and you want to know what package it's in.  It's a
list of all files in Debian cross-referenced to package name.

Nathan L. Cutler
Linux Enthusiast
http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~nlc