Re: Best Debian CD?

On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Robin Rowe wrote:

> Hi. How do I find out what Debian CD-ROM's are available? Is there an
> article somewhere that comparitively rates them?

This was the original message to which I responded.  I apparently
offended a few of us out there.  I apologize.  However, please
stop sending mail to the list about this.  Flame my privately,
and I'll gladly tear a new black hole in your universe
_privately_!  Get it off the list!

I happen to work for a guy who thinks Solaris is too unstable for
production!  I personally am very familiar with installing
Solaris 2.x and then having to down load patches after patches
and install them according to specific uses and needs, etc.  I
know that the latest CDR has all the latest fixes, but I need
_any_ stable CD and I can get the fixes off the net!  The
difference between doing this for Solaris and doing it for Debian
is that Solaris is made by the same company that makes SunOS :-)

We also recently dumped all gcc based developement here in the IS
group (and other compliers and tools) for Sun's compiler suite.
So, I'm _really_ an island now!  I never said that Debian should
stop being what it is.  I don't think we need to choose between
being geekware for universities or being commercially viable.  We
can be both technically superior _free_ software, and have
commercial appeal.  There's just more work involved :-(

Again, my apologies to the list and to any individuals.

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
011-81-3-3437-7967 - Tokyo, Japan