Re: automatic mounting of CDs

Well, RTFM ;-).

Ok, the package provides documentation in /usr/doc/amd and there are
examples in /usr/doc/examples/amd. There are things both in doc and in
examples that refer specially to auto-mounting removable media. There is
even a program that umounts and ejects cd's. The new maintainer Roman
Hodek has really been hard-working - Wham Bam, Tank You Ma'm!

Amd uses so called mount maps. The excerpt from my one that tells amd
how to handle my cdrom-drive reads (location: /etc/amd/amd.server):

I)  [snip]
    cdrom type:=ufs;dev:=/dev/scd0;opts:=type:=iso9660,conv=auto,ro;
    [snip]

Further, there is a file /etc/amd.master. Mine reads:

II)  -a /amd -x noinfo  -r -c 5 /etc/amd/amd.server

Now, you can do a 'cd /mnt_amd/cdrom' and the cd gets mounted at
/mnt_amd/cdrom. After not being accessed for more than 5 seconds it gets
unmounted automatically. In detail:

II) o '/etc/amd/amd.server' is the mount map of which I) shows an
excerpt
    o '/mnt_amd' is the place where the devices get mounted
    o '-c 5' tells amd to keep idle mounts for 5 seconds
    o the rest is from the amd.master template provided with the package

 I) o 'cdrom' means the cdrom-drive gets mounted under /mnt_amd/cdrom
    o 'type:=ufs' means it's a unix file system, i. e. the kernel knows
what to do with it
    o 'dev:=/dev/scd0' tells amd to mount th first scsi-cdrom
    o 'opts:=type:=iso9660' tells the kernel exactly which fs-type to
use
    o 'conv=auto,ro' mounts read only and unmounts when idle (not sure
about the last one)

First Note: If you don't want to wait 5 seconds for the unmount, you can
diminish the repsective parameter or you can use the included
eject-program (and e. g. bind it to a button in FVwmButtons or the
like). This unmounts and ejects your cd with one mouse click.

Second Note: If things don't work as you expect you perhaps really
should have a look at the manuals. Amd is in fact very powerful and can
do a lot of very sophisticated things to your file system structure. On
the other hand this means that things are sometimes a little more tricky
than they should.

Regards,

	Andree
--
                     | Institute of Geophysics   phone: +49 40 4123 4389
 ANDREE LEIDENFROST  | University of Hamburg       fax: +49 40 4123 5441
    Geophysicist     | Bundesstrasse 55      e-mail: leidenfrost@dkrz.de