Re: mouse problem

Salut Patrice,

I think the problem has to do with the device you are using. As far as I
know, the cuax-devices can normally be used by one process only at a
given time. E. g. if gpm uses device /dev/cua0, as in your case, and
then the X-Server is started it can't use the mouse because device
/dev/cua0 is locked by gpm.
The solution is to use /dev/ttyS0 instead of /dev/cua0 because the ttySx
devices can be shared between processes. By the way, I think that Debian
is shipped with a symbolic link /dev/modem that you set during the
installation procedure. Programs which use the mouse like gpm or the
X-server use this symbolic link as mouse device by default. So, the
right way in terms of Debian policy is probably to change/create a link
/dev/mouse -> /dev/ttyS0 and to make programs use this link as their
mouse device (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Regards,

	Andree
--
                     | Institute of Geophysics   phone: +49 40 4123 4389
 ANDREE LEIDENFROST  | University of Hamburg       fax: +49 40 4123 5441
    Geophysicist     | Bundesstrasse 55      e-mail: leidenfrost@dkrz.de