shononascii

Hi,
I am puzzled by the following:

I am trying to prevent metamail to launch an xterm everytime it finds an
iso-8859-1 message.

(from shownonascii's manual page)

       If  the MM_CHARSET environment variable is set and matches
       the character set named in the first argument, a new xterm
       window will not be opened.

Nevertheless, if I issue the following command, it still displays an
xterm:
$ shownonascii `echo $MM_CHARSET` iso-8859-1.msg
Your font path appears to be correctly set.
Running xterm to display text in iso-8859-1, please wait...

Any hints or ideas as to why the behaviour is different from what I think
it should, ie. no xterm should be launched?

Thanks in advance!
Luis