RE: mime and elm (was RE: X-wm question and ZipDrive)

Hamish Moffat wrote:

>>>Good. Any chance you could not send all messages as MIME, either?
>>>Real PITA to read with plain jane elm on a character terminal.
>>
>> Couldn't you pre-filter your email with procmail and a MIME extraction
>> program? Maybe the packages mime-support (which `can be used to turn
>> virtually any mail reader program into a multimedia mail reader') or
>> mpack?
>
>I'd love to. But this machine is not a Debian box, it's my
>account at university running Solaris 5.5.1, and there's no procmail,
>or munpack, etc. Only metamail, which isn't very friendly.
>Unfortunately, I doubt my disk quota runs to a permanent copy of
>procmail, which sounds quite featureful and therefore probably
>quite large.

If you're using OpenWindows, the standard mail program `mailtool'
understands MIME. (Couldn't your admins install a system-wide copy of
procmail?)

>> After all, MIME is so well established and you're imposing the lowest
>> common denominator on us.
>
>True, but I see no advantage in sending absolutely plain text messages
>as MIME when some people (such as me) will complain. When attachments
are involved, I agree, MIME simplifies things significantly
>and metamail handles this adequately. Although I still use
>Netscape when I'm trying to send file attachments.

I agree with you and Dale on this. I assumed we were talking about
uuencoding `attachments' instead of MIMEing them - having a
MIME-compliant mailer, I'm not aware of the extent of the problem.

Casper Boden-Cummins.