gcc can't find headers

I've been trying to bridge over to C++ and tried to compile my first
program using gcc, but "#include <iostream.h>" didn't work.  The compiler
couldn't find the standard headers.  I've looked on my system and they
reside in /usr/i386-unknown-cygwin32/lib/g++-include.  I tried using the
-I switch to no avail.

I know next to nothing about the gcc compiler.  Any help would be
appreciated.  By the way, it does compile C programs without a hitch.

Thanks
Paul Serice