Re: Minor help with X

In article <[🔎] m0vhhUO-00085cC@gtech> you wrote:
>(--) SVGA: There is no mode definition named "800x600"
>(--) SVGA: Removing mode "800x600" from list of valid modes.
...  [XF86Config:]
>Section "Monitor"
>    HorizSync   31.5 - 35.1
>    VertRefresh 50-70

Here is the problem; the HorizSync range is too small. The 800x600 and
1024x768 modes have the following hsyncs [quoted from the same XF86Config]:
># 800x600 @ 56 Hz, 35.15 kHz hsync
># 1024x768 @ 87 Hz interlaced, 35.5 kHz hsync

So, change that HorizSync to "HorizSync 31.5 - 35.6" or something (see your
monitor's specifications if you have them; but if 800x600 works in SVGAlib
(or DOS), setting that HorizSync should be safe), and it should work.

>Section "Screen"
>    Subsection "Display"
>        Modes       "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"

And here, the first mode in this Modes list is the mode that X starts by
default; but you can cycle between them all with Ctrl-Alt-+ (the + key on
the numeric keypad).

(On a more general note, I've always thought that "There is no mode
definition named "xxx"" is not an informative error message when the real
`error' is that the mode definition was deleted because it didn't fit the
monitor's specifications (HorizSync, VertRefresh). But I guess we'd need to
talk to the XFree86 folks about that.)

--
-=- Rjs -=- rjs@spider.compart.fi, rjs@lloke.dna.fi