deselect_update_via_cdrom

I recently updated from Debian 1.1.4 to Debian 1.2.1 using a CDROM supplied
by Dale Scheetz (dwarf@polaris.net). I decided to update via dselect and
would like to share my experience. Dale responded graciously to several of
my questions to get me started. Here is the scenario:

0. mount the cd; let's say '/cdrom' is the mount point
1. 'dpkg -i /cdrom/rex-fixed/binary-i386/base/ldso_1.8.5-1.deb'
   to satisfy a predepend for perl update
2. 'ln -sf /cdrom/rex-fixed /stable'
3. 'ln -sf /cdrom/contrib /contrib'
4. 'dselect'
5. Within dselect, choose "mounted (Install from a mounted file system
   which is already mounted)" as the access method - restrain yourself
   from choosing "cdrom" as the access method.
6. When dselect asks for "distribution top level [none]', enter '/'
7. It will complain about not finding 'non-free/binary-i386', so enter
   'cdrom/non-free/binary' - note no initial '/'
8. The cd didn't have a 'local', so at that point I entered 'none'
9. You'll now be admitted into the bowels of dselect to make your software
   selections etc.

Some of the choices above seem non-intuitive/capricious, but I trundled down
some blind paths before this worked for me - you may find a more sensible
scenario.

Regards, Richard