Re: More diald problems.

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997 17:49:26 PST "Kevin Traas" (ktraas@uniserve.com)
wrote:
> Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Jan 1997 09:31:43 PST "Kevin Traas" (ktraas@uniserve.com)
> > wrote:

> Anyways, what I was trying to get across is that the connection process
> works perfectly after I added the "route" command to setup the default
> route via "/etc/ppp/ip-up".
>
> However, NO MATTER WHAT I DO across the connection, diald kills it after
> only about 30 seconds of uptime.  In other words, even if I start a telnet
> or ftp session, I hardly manage to get connected to the remote site and
> diald drops the connection and my session "hangs".  Of course, with these
> connection-oriented utilities, I've got to start over again when I get
> reconnected.  However, if I run a connection-less utility like ping, it'll
> ping merrily along for 30 seconds until diald kills the connection and then
> wait until diald again re-establishes it again.

Do you know why diald terminates the connection ? If you've got
`debug 31', diald should output a shitload of messages (in
/var/log/messages). Would you give us an excerpt ?
Basically, every packet that goes through the link causes a message,
satsting what rule was applied and the timeout before the closing.

BTW, are you able to get anything done during the 30 seconds delay ?I
mean, if you telnet somewhere, do you get the login prompt ?

> Oh, and to restate.  I haven't changed (or really even looked at) the
> diald.conf file where timeouts and filtering information is kept.  That's
> all exactly as it came in the 0.14-8 distribution.

I don't know if the stock diald.conf is correct, I've rolled my own
one using an old one from an old diald version.
I'm thinking of something: try to a `up' keyword to diald.options
(meaning to keep the connection running all the time) to see if the
problem comes from diald filtering or from something else...

> > Do you have a `defaultroute' command in your diald.options file ? Are the
> addresses of both sides of the link correct in this file too (`local' and
> `remote') ?
>
> Yep!  Even though it's there, it doesn't seem to establish the default
> route to the ISP's interface.  As for the addresses, I've got the following
> lines in my diald.options file:

[snip]
Could you send your diald.options file ? That would be easier. Include diald.defs and diald.conf if you've changed them too... And maybe a trimmed (without comments) ppp.options.
This will make things easier...

Phil.