RE: Ghostscript Version: 4.01-4

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Paul Rightley wrote:

> Whenever I have had such problems, it usually results from the fonts being in
> the incorrect directory.  I seem to remember that sometimes GS expects its
> fonts under /usr/local/share/...  It seems to depend on how the binary was
> compiled (though I am not sure).  I do not know how to tell GS in what
> directory to look for fonts.

I found where it was looking by running gs under "strace"
(eg: strace gs sum.ps)

Then, you can see it trying different places to find fonts:

open("./Fontmap", O_RDONLY)             = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
open("/usr/lib/ghostscript/4.03/Fontmap", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such
file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts/Fontmap", O_RDONLY) = 4

...and...

open("/usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts/n021003l.pfb", O_RDONLY) = 5

But, as has been posted, the latest gs and gs-alladin deb files
have this fixed.

...RickM...