Re: Disk partitioning - recommended sizes (fwd)

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Timothy Phan wrote:

> :Make the following symlinks:
> :
> :/tmp 	->	/local/tmp (unless you might share this drive via NFS)
> :/home	->	/local/home
> :/usr/local ->	/local/usr
> :/var/spool ->	/local/spool (again, if using NFS, you should break this
> :	down - talk to me individually)
>   Do the above FS and symlinks comply with fsstnd (File system standard)?
>   Just want to know.  Thanks!

Well, it falls under the category of site specific filesystems, and with
the symlinks in place, everything that the fsstnd specifies will still
"exist" where they belong (you can still do

  --> Thu 21:12 on Templinux : pwd is ~
tcsh> ls -l /var/spool/mail/templin
-rw-rw----   1 templin  mail         5483 Jan  9 21:06
/var/spool/mail/templin
  --> Thu 21:12 on Templinux : pwd is ~
tcsh>

without a problem, it's just that the file actually exists on a custom
partition.  My main idea in spec'ing the above was to cluster files that
a user would want to retain from one install to another without fear of
loss due to initialization of a system partition (notice I didn't say
repartitioning!), and it also offers the ability to dynamically reallocate
space as necessary: if you're running short on disk space, you can dump
/usr/local/src to tape and scrap it, freeing up more space for home
directories or monstrous inboxes.  Strange way of looking at it, but I'd
rather bunch /usr/local, /home, and /var/spool/mail in one disk (and guess
on the "right" size) than have to guess three times.  Given the WIDE
variety of hardware out there and the fact that we can't go to the store
and ask the Debian salesperson to assemble a system to our requirements
(usually...), it'll be a guessing game already.  Much as I enjoy
reinstalling machines (sorry, in my line of work, you get numbed to
machines that won't boot!), I'd rather not have to spin tape for all of my
personal files just to repartition for them.

Especially since I just found out that my backup script had lots of oopses
in it!!!

  --Pete