Too many packages!

Ok, so somehow I downloaded a lot of stuff I just don't want, like X, emacs,
TeX, and a host of little things like the little calculator program... I
fire up Dselect and go to remove, and then it comes back to the menu screen
with Exit highlighted.  Is this normal?

I did a dpkg --list, and I have a LOT of packages installed, apparently.  I
know that one is not to use dpkg directly to install and remove, right?  Is
there some way that I can force dselect to work for me?  I figure that way I
will not accidentally delete a package that another package depends on :)

Also, if I want I can ftp the packages that I want to a directory and then
run dselect from there, right?  I see things on the site I want, but going
through that dselect ui is harder than doing it by hand, IMHO.  I do,
however, appreciate the idea of packages (love it in Solaris!)

TIA for any help!

Kendrick

--
This message was delayed because the list mail delivery agent was down.