Custom Boot Disk and Network Problems

Whenever I boot my Debian system now, it still goes through and polls for
devices I just don't have before it goes to INIT 2.  The BIG problem with
this is, for that time, my LAN is completely hammered with bad packets.  My
collision lights slam steady on, and all network activity is hosed.  This
is, needless to say, unacceptable.

I was never prompted to use the custom boot disk I was told to set aside and
use during the install process.  I'm thinking that's why my boot is still so
all-out wild and wooly.  It's still going out an looking for CDROMS,
scanners, the kitchen sink serial port, etc. :(

How do I make/use that custom boot disk and/or otherwise tune my kernel so
that I can take all the chaff out of the boot up and not hose my network.
Many thanks in advance for help!

I'm downloading packages still... I believe I screwed up when I interrupted
dselect's getting of some packages I didn't want.  Oh well.. If I have to
start from scratch again, at least I know not to use those silly commas :)

Regards,

Kendrick