Re: improvements

tomk@westgac3.dragon.com wrote:

> (2 cents worth) 8-) I perceive 2 separate issues going on this list pertaining
> to improving Debian. Issue 1 - Easier installation; Issue 2 - friendlier
> "dselect". On installation issue, I'd like to see a return to the installation
> of release 0.93 - A custom mode for the experienced Debian user and a "newby"
> mode (with uncluttered DOS-like screens) for the raw newcomer to Debian.
> On the dselect issue, a lot of information is crammed into the presentation

> making the "upgrade" process more difficult than it needs to be. I refer to
> "dselect" as an upgrade process because at the point that dselect is called,
> the base OS is already in place/installed. You are then "upgrading" the base
> into a fuller, more usable system.

> I would like to see a "dselect" organized by applications rather than the
> current packages/sub-catagory presentation. Example:

> I start this new program and have a screen oriented by application:

> (these are merely suggestions and are not set in concrete)

> communications  non-networking communications
> documentation   all documentation
> development     as is currently
> games           all games
> graphics        anything which creates, massages, transforms graphics
> misc            catch all- math, electronics, hamradio, "misc", etc.
> networking      any networking functions- mail, news, utilities, etc.
> printing        anything dealing with printing- TEX, lout, etc.
> system          admin, base, shells, X windows, etc.

> I need communications; I move the cursor to the communications "folder" and
> open it. Now I see a new screen with efax, minicom, and uucp (applications!)
> Now I move the cursor to minicom and select it. At this point, dselect would
> select minicom _and_ all other package(s) needed by minicom. If a conflict
> exist, then a "popup" box would appear stating that there was a conflict and
> offer to either take care of it immediately, or wait until later.

> I suggest a new "dselect" called "aselect". (keep the current dselect!)
> "aselect" would be for the "newby" or applications oriented person to upgrade
> his base installed Debian. When the installation is finished and the person
> reboots, does the admin stuff, they have the opportunity to either use the
> applications oriented "dselect" or the packages oriented "dselect" with the
> default going to applications.

I like this idea and I'm a newbie...:-)) There should be of course always a help screen available, describing (not just with one phrase) what the selected application is used for, because it is not always so obvious, only by just looking at the name. The current dselect description is  not not that informative about all applications, and when U never used Unix/Linux before it's more confusing and U are not sure if the application is needed or not??

Greetings

Jacek